Got to Get to Germany!

A quick trip to Deutschland

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Approaching the final Stretch - Photo Update

I have kinda teamed up with this guy Mike from the Bike trip. A small group of us is headed out to watch Germany win another one.

The bike group turned out to be one of the best things to do - the more senior guy in the pic owns a few soccer stores out in Cali, turns out he used to be Head Soccer Coach for UCLA and played for the team in the 70's. Turns out Bruce Arena(current US Mens Head Coach) was mentored by this guy. He had some awesome stories.

A side note, while waiting for the 11:00 Glockenspiel this cute little girl(Maddie's age) come up to me and started asking me questions in German. She was part of a school group at the famous square (there must have been at least 10 school groups). I explained in German that I did not speak the language or understand. But I guess in her mind if I responded in German, I MUST understand so she persisted in asking me questions about the Clock. Oh yeah this went on for a good 5 minutes. She reminded me of some other little blond headed kids I know in Naperville.

On a more somber note - went to Dachau today. Still a bit overwhelmed. The couple on the bike trip and done it before and kinda prepped us for it. It didn't work. No way can I express the level of sorrow you feel just walking through there. At one point I felt like I wanted to leave Germany all together and just go home.

So with that in mind Mike and I are a little bit more subdued but hope to have an uplifting time at the Fan Fest in München tonight.

Roommate update: last night Asian Family of 4, 1 remaining Anti-US Iranian. Tonight 2 English drunks (already met them) and they told me the rest is some nutty Brasilian's that are really ticked off that they (their team) has been sent home.

Tom W. told me, before he left, the most important thing to do when faced with tough situations - curl up in the fetal position and cry. Captain, ready and able.

4 Comments:

At 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Steve,
Sounds like you're having the time of your life- I hear you about Dachau. Visting there was a defining moment in my life. Even though it is incredibly moving in the most heartwrenching way, I'm glad you squeezed a little history into the trip.

I can't wait to see you and Katie all dressed up for each other next month!
-Annie

 
At 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo Steve-o, This is Mutte checking in. We've all been enjoying your travel reporting - we will send Aunt C a hard copy as she is unable to get into the site. You'll have so much to tell us when you get home, you'll be talking for weeks! Dad's been sharing some of your reports with Dave May too. Miss you lots,
M

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Katie said...

So glad you found a partner in crime to replace Tom - not that anyone worries about you making new friends.

It is just nice to know that you have someone else to bounce things off of.

Miss you lots - see you soon!

k and pt

 
At 1:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. Black steel washers Tamiflu india how to report medical malpractice Prada replica handbag Refinance already consolidated student loans Accutane result picture Belle mere mature Gloucester oxycontin bust computer answering machine 20 symptom withdrawal fluoxetine Gig harbor refinance refinance properties second mortgage refinancing sacramento san bruno california interracial marrage Html table templates html templates California home loan refiance refinancing refinance Trexus tires Black ferrari

 

Post a Comment

<< Home