Got to Get to Germany!

A quick trip to Deutschland

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

This AM came a bit early.

After a hard night of consoling our German friends (for those of you who don't know they got eliminated last night), I was awoken by one of my new roommates complaining about another roommates snoring. I know my friend Steve S. is not reading this but he held the title of worst snore since we did some Cisco training in Wisconsin. This guy last night took top spot by a long shot - past my Dad, past my friend Dan when we've camped, past everybody. Needless to say I did my part to "drown" the sorrows with my fellow Germans and those of you that know me know I sleep soundly, but this got me up and out by 6:00AM. Lets just say I went to bed sometime very near there.

Did the tourist thing to day walking off the lack of sleep. Saw the HofBräuhaus - which has the onlyvisiblee swastika's in public. The symbol is outlawed (as well it should be) but it is still interesting to see this history. Stopped by the Hard Rock Cafe only because they have part of the wall on display...oh yeah and they cut it into the shape of aguitarr. Gotta love us Americans. And climbed St. Peters Tower - I am thinking that Katies obsession with planning is not all that bad. I don't think she would have scheduled drinking practically all night and then climbing a towers stairs. Katie you would be very happy here, shopping is a major attraction here.

The French have arrived and the town is getting very snooty. Let's just say I am hoping that Portugal wins this one.

Met some very cool Germans last night and they said they come up to Berlin with Mike and I.

One of yesterday highlights at the München Fan Fest was before the game the had events on the main stage. The best was this Asian fan singing ACDC "Highway to Hell" in English via a huge karaoke screen to a bunch of drunk Germans. This trip is great.

Tomorrow I may not blog - Mike and I are off to Berlin and I may do some camping but maybe not. The weather is supposed to turn bad for the rest of the week. Rain and heat. And I am not sure if they have heard of a small invention called air conditioning. Very few places have it. Today is sunny and hot. But a great day.

Today's music (all in English of course, both from Internet Cafe and heard from passing cars) - Cher(coming from a kids car), Shakira, Pink, 50 Cent and Will Smith.

4 Comments:

At 8:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve,

Was anyone worried that you wouldn't make friends, knowing that you are such an introvert?

Looks like the beer is catching up with you. Will you be able to fit into that suit, or will a last minute fitting be in order?

Looking forward to seeing you and Katie in all of your wedding glory.

Joy

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger Katie said...

I find it very hard to believe that any snoring could possibly keep you from your precious sleep - this guy is obviously one for the record books!

Also - I forgot to mention that in honor of the 4th of July and you being in Munich - I borrowed your Bayern Munchen soccer jersey - er I mean football club jersey which is red white and blue. It's a little big - so if you feel like getting me my own jersey while you are out shopping (hint, hint) feel free.

love,
k

 
At 3:13 AM, Blogger Der General said...

I have been doing a lot of walking but haven't seen any weight loss, hmmmm I wonder why?

Yeah, I found I have a limit as to how much noise I can take. Last night - cool outside, steamroom inside. Great.

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger Brian said...

You are demonstrating impressive stamina, Steve. I sweat just reading about climbing stairs in warm weather. And I think that I'd be more inclined to spend a day lying on a cool floor after a night of drinking.

There's nothing sadder than a sad German. The Germans even have a unique word to express their peculiar brand of bleak gloom: Weltschmertz.

And since you're my sole source of Copa Mundial news, I can only surmise that France is setting the pitch on fire. Are they down to the Final Four yet? Great Eight? Est bien! When is the final series of games supposed to be? I might actually make the effort to watch some of that. Please send explicit, detailed instructions on what channels and when such things are televised.

Do you know when the Dave Chapelle show is coming back on?

Let me know when you're ready to meet at the office. I got bidness to discuss.

Do you want to go golfing? I'm assiduously attempting to cultivate an addiction. However, to date, my game consists mostly of primal screaming and gratuitous, malicious cruelty against a small white orb. Between losing balls and losing clubs, I'm estimating that my remaining clubs and balls will only last a few more rounds. An expensive hobby when you add in the cost of replacing clubs, losing a ball per hole, and consuming a $5 beer every other hole.

We have lots to catch up on when you are released to the States again. Have fun and bring back lots of stories.

-Brian

 

Post a Comment

<< Home